- Director, Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women
- Politics Professor of Political Science
Karen joined Iowa State in January 2019 and joined UCAWGE later that year. Her research areas are women in US politics, civic engagement, and health policy. Prior to coming to ISU, Karen spent 24 years at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina, where she rose from Assistant Professor to Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Along the way, she was involved in assessment, fundraising, accreditation, and civic engagement. Karen is a frequent media commentator and is author or coauthor of three books and many book reviews, book chapters, journal articles, blog posts, encyclopedia articles, and a Girl Scout patch commemorating women's suffrage. Karen is a member of the Greater Des Moines Community Band, where she plays flute and piccolo. Karen has two twenty-something children, and currently lives in Ames with her mother and daughter, who is a proud ISU student.
- B.A., Political Science, History, and French. Magna cum Laude. University of Minnesota. 1986
- M.A., University of Oklahoma. 1991
- Ph.D., Political Science. University of Oklahoma. 1992