University Committee for the Advancement of Women and Gender Equity
The University Committee for the Advancement of Women and Gender Equity (UCAWGE) has diverse membership from across the Iowa State University campus. UCAWGE is an active and involved committee that works to advance gender equity within the university community. Included in our purview is: increasing gender equity in leadership positions; eliminating barriers and addressing organizational structures and policies that act as impediments to gender equity; and working to improve the climate on campus with regard to gender equity for all students, staff, and faculty.
Our committee values diversity of thought and experience and actively recruits faculty, professional and scientific staff, merit staff, post-doctoral scholars, graduate students, and undergraduate students. UCW accepts new members on a year-round basis, both by nomination and self-application. At this time, we especially seek representation from merit staff, undergraduates, and people of color from all areas of the university community.
We are advised by Dr. Reginald Stewart, ISU Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion.
The UCAWGE works directly with the Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion to promote a university climate that fosters full participation of faculty, staff and students to increase diversity by advancing gender equity. The primary focus of UCAWGE is to address those policies and practices that are inequitable with regard to gender in the Iowa State University community.
The goals of the University Committee for the Advancement of Women and Gender Equity include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Represent the interests and concerns of all genders in the university community by promoting a supportive learning and working environment.
- Provide input to Administration through a gender equity lens.
- Assist in mentoring and networking opportunities to facilitate gender equity across the university.
- Monitor and inform the institution's performance with regard to representation and advancement of all genders.
- Advocate for the development of policies and practices that promote the equitable participation and treatment of employees and students.
- Participate in recruitment and selection processes for leadership positions.
- Provide leadership development opportunities for ISU professionals involved in gender equity programs and initiatives.
The 2019-2020 members of UCAWGE created this dashboard under the guidance of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion. The content of The Report was modeled on previous Status on Women Reports, the result of diligent work of past UCW committee members. It is curated by current members of UCAWGE.